A toast to the holidays!


Every year I have a drink that I gravitate to.  If you've been reading my blog (and can identify the photo on this page), you can probably already guess what it is.  To digress though (because what would my blog posts be without a little digression?), in recent years it has been vodka with St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur and lime juice, shaken and served up, martini style.  Mojitos have made their appearance, but usually more frequently in the summer, a refreshing minty alternative to the Margarita.  This year its the Pisco Sour, using Peruvian Pisco (not the Chilean variety), simple syrup, lemon juice and the white of one egg.  As I ponder this drink (and pondered one more closely near my Christmas tree last night after work), I rationalize that it is a Christmas-ey  drink after all.  I mean, isn't it similar: a little eggwhite and pisco (a clear variety of brandy made from grape spirits), to some eggnog and brandy?  (and less caloric, I'm sure).

Pisco Sour

1.5 ounces of Peruvian Pisco (found at any large liquor store)
.75 ounces of fresh lemon juice
.75 ounces of simple syrup (I bought mine at Trader Joes but you can make it yourself)
1 fresh egg white (the yolk, well, you could make some aioli with it, why not?)

Angostura Bitters (or Peychaud's Bitters)

Add all the ingredients (except the bitters) to a cocktail shaker without ice (this part is important, as it allows the egg to get frothy).  Use a good egg white, organic, free range, natural eggs.  Why would one use any other kind anyway???  Shake the hell out of it, for say, 30 shakes.  Add a few ice cubes and shake the hell out of it again.  Strain into a rocks glass (or a martini glass if you must, but that is not traditional).  There should be a nice 1/4" of foam on top.  Sprinkle the top with a few dashes of bitters.  Drink slowly and savor the heady goodness of the pisco and bitters marrying in the creamy matrix.

Comments

Popular Posts